HCLF, or high-carb low-fat, has always been in the spotlight of veganism, but I never really took notice until I started watching a YouTuber called Hench Herbivore. Paul (the main guy on the channel) is a vegan body builder, and follows a HCLF whole food plant based diet. Let me tell you, he is ripped! Anyway, he and his fiancé, Gemma, do not use oil for cooking. Well, he said something one time that intrigued me. Making crispy fries using a steamer, then baking them! This made so much sense to me, so I decided to try it for myself, and they were great!
Basically, I just cup up the potatoes how I like them be for fries, then put them in the steamer for about 8 minutes. This brings out some of the starch from the potatoes, to the surface. Then, I spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle some seasonings on them, and bake them for about 35 minutes, stirring intermittently.
What You Need:
Purified water (find out why purified here)
Seasonings (I used paprika and rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Cut up the potatoes like fries. You can cut them like steak fries or thin fries.
- Put them in your steamer, and steam them for 8 minutes.
- When you touch them, they should feel kind of slimey.
- Spread them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with seasonings of choice, and mix up to cover with seasonings.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Stir.
- Bake another 15 minutes. May need a little longer, depending on how thick you cut the potatoes.
They are ready!!!
Try these condiments with this: Super Easy Homemade Ketchup
Photo: Stephanie Mccabe
Wouldn’t you LOVE to get quirky yet informational emails straight to your inbox???
Of course you would!